I am writing this on the premise that we all understand what Love is. But to recap, Love is God (1 John 4:7-11).
Here in this article, we want to see and learn how we can have God’s kind of love in us. God’s kind of love is dynamic and its operations in believers life must be well understood so as not be a victim of the mystery in 1 Cor. 13:1-3 “Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels and have not charity, I have become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. 3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.”
The first thing to take note of is the phrase “have not love”. The scripture did not say do not love. Substituting do for have would have meant another thing entirely, therefore in interpreting this verse, it is important to take note of the HAVE. Love, therefore, is first what you have, then because you have it you then manifest it (1 Cor. 13:4-8, 1 John 4:9).
1 Cor. 13: 1-3
I guess to some us the first two verses might be reasonably possible without love. The question that boarders me sometimes is how we do spiritual things without love. How we claim to see angels and interact, how different revelations come without love. But the amazing part of these verses is for one to feed the poor and give his or her body to be burned and without love, I think that’s amazing. Because generally speaking these entire things listed above should be an attribute of love. Think about it.
The Formation of the Agape love (unconditional love)
Let’s visit Eph. 3:16-17,19 16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man; 17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, 19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fullness of God.
Here Apostle Paul was praying for the church at Ephesus, he began with an interesting progression that every believer must pray, and in verse 17, he made another point of prayer by saying may you be rooted deep in love and founded securely on love (AMP). He is telling us that love has depth and we must be rooted in (where love starts from) love and be founded securely on (the attributes, the end result) love. So the formation of love begins inside of us, God himself begins to craft it in us. Verse 19 says, that you may really come to know (practically, through the experience for yourselves) the love of Christ which surpasses mere knowledge (without experience).
What must you do?
- Fellowship with Prayer: Every believer must be conscious of the truth that at every stage of fellowshipping, there is a formation. When we fellowship in the place of prayer we should be sensitive of what he wants to form in us. Such that as you begin to pray in tongues or with understand you are aware (Faith) that something is about to happen to you. For example, you can begin by prayer from this point:
- Father, I dig into your Love
- Jesus, Help me to understand your love for me.
- Dear Holy Spirit, I love you.
Stay on each prayer point for some time at least 5-10 mintues, say is again and again until it sticks to your spirit and you begin to receive other different angles to the prayer points.
- Fellowship with the word: Constant reading of the word with love at heart releases that virtue in you. For example:
- Do a detailed study on God’s Love, Jesus’ Love and The Love of the Holy Spirit.
- Each time you pick-up your bible read it as a love letter, the heart you take to the scripture a lot of times determines the revelation you will take out of it.
3. Fellowship with songs: Song are swords and ladders that takes you into the different depths in God. You don’t need to have a good voice to fellowship with songs, all you need is you. You can also select some songs that talks about God’s love and circumference yourself with the sounds and lyrics from it.
4. Fellowship with the brethren: I believe this is a very powerful way to really get God’s love in us. Praying, singing, dancing, breaking of bread e.t.c. add to the workings of Agape love in us.
I can guarantee that if you do the things listed above and other things that would be inspired in your spirit, you will discover you reaching some depth of love and thereby dispensing some love-kind attributes.