Praying in Tongues is help in prayer. It is a well-misunderstood phenomenon in the church today. Some do not believe in it, while others abuse its use. These are all because of a lack of understanding of the tool that was delivered unto us.
What does it mean to Pray in Tongues?
Praying in tongue which is also known praying with the spirit is a helpful tool in prayer that covers how weaknesses as humans. Roman 8:26 gave us insight into this tool. (Amp) “so too, the [Holy] Spirit come to our aid and bears us up in our weakness; for we do not know what prayer to offer nor how to offer it worthily as we ought, but the spirit himself goes to meet our supplication and plead in our behalf with unspeakable yearning and groaning too deep for utterance”. There are things worthy of note here.
- The Spirit comes to our Aid: Praying with the spirit calls for the help of the Spirit, i.e. when you begin to pray in tongues you are calling for the Holy Spirit’s help.
- Bears us up in our weakness: Our mind is limited in garnering words to speak to the almighty God. This is a weakness. Most Christians if not all are weak in words or we do not possess the accurate words to either worship or tender requests in the courtroom. Therefore praying in tongues allows us to invites the spirit to help in our communion with the Father. Paul said in 1 Cor. 14:4 he that speaks in an unknown tongue edifies himself. This means he emboldens, bears up, increases.
- We do not know what to pray for: This might seem like a surprise, because, an average individual would claim he knows what he wants, but actually what you want is or may be different from what you need. Praying in tongues helps us to identify prayer requests, petitions and supplications to bring to the throne of Grace
- How to offer it worthily as we ought to: The Spirit through the instrumentality of tongues helps us to worthily offer our request as we ought to. For example, during one of my night prayers, I was praying Gen 26:22 which say for now the Lord hath made room for us, and we shall be fruitful in the land. I began to pray this scripture in tongues, I was trying to find the how of the prayer so as to pray it in understanding. After tonging for few minutes then I receive how to pray the prayer.
- The Spirit himself goes to meet our supplication and plead in our behalf with unspeakable yearning and groaning too deep for utterance: What you say in tongues is too deep to say in understanding or sometimes you are yet to develop your mind to utter some words in understanding. So the Spirit yearns and groans in us when we praying tongues.
Why or Benefits of Praying in tongues.
Praying in tongues is very important but what are the reasons or benefit of praying in tongues.
- You speak directly to God: Hallelujah, 1 Cor. 14:2 unveiled this, saying he that speaks in tongues speaks unto God ‘cos no man understands him. You can communicate your deepest pain by praying in tongues. You know sometimes we pass through certain things in life that seems indescribable, it looks very thick and confusing, such that you cannot lay hold of any vocabulary or point to pray on. The bible says praying in tongues is speaking to God directly. Tongues communicate the message of our heart with groaning too big to utter Rom. 8:26.
- You speak mysteries: What are mysteries? Mysteries simply mean secrets. When you pray in tongues you speak secrets, you speak secrets of your life, family, future, you speak about what God planned for you. You speak the thing that your ordinary mind cannot garner. There are times whereby the solution to some problems have its root in your childhood, as a matter of fact, many of us if not all of us can’t remember some certain strange events that happened during childhood, certain manipulations of the devil, but you can know these things when you start praying in tongues because when you pray in tongues you pray mysteries. But the mysteries you speak are in the spirit 1 Cor. 14:2. At this point your understanding is unfruitful, but there is a way out, Paul said … pray that ye might interpret 1 Co. 14:13. So whenever you pray in tongues set your mind to the truth that you are dispensing mysteries. Jesus said in Matt. 13:11 … it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom. You know in the spirit therefore you speak.
- Self-edification: 1 Cor. 14:4 He that speaks in an unknown tongue edifies himself. What does it mean to edify? To edify means to build up or improve. Edify, from the Greek is translated ‘oikodomeo’, which mean to build, construct, emboldens. So when you speak in tongues you are building up your spirit or as the case may be your spiritual life, spiritual alertness. Jude said, But you, beloved, build yourselves [founded] on your most holy faith [ making progress, rise like an edifice higher and higher] praying in the Holy Ghost Jude 1:20
Friends, there is nothing that can replace praying in tongues, my mentor ones said to me, “when you are in a situation you don’t understand, always speak in the language you don’t understand” – Udorah Daniel. If you can’t pray in tongues, I pray for you to be filled now!!! All you have to do is to worship in songs and you will definitely begin to speak. And if you have been speaking in tongues and you are yet to see the implications in your personal life, pray in tongues more, in no time, you will begin to lay hold of tangible testimonies as a result of your praying with the spirit.