“ If You Wait For perfect conditions, You will never get anything done” Eccl. 11:4 (NLT)
“ He That Observeth the wind shall not sow; and he that regardeth the clouds shall not reap” Eccl. 11:4 (KJV).
We have a little farmland at our backyard where cassava is majorly planted and it’s overdue for harvest, Mum said we need to harvest it so we can process for Garri and Elubo (cassava flour). For more than five good days we didn’t harvest as planned😂, we kept on procrastinating and postponing. Why, because before waking up and doing some chores like cooking breakfast, the sun is up already and it kept on occurring like that and we were waiting for the perfect or better still a favourable atmospheric condition😁, which will never surface.
This is the issue some of us are always faced with. We wait for a perfect time or situation to get things done, we want a conducive environment to do some things and such times will never come. I like the way the New Living Translation puts it- You will never get anything done. Procrastination they say, “is the theft of time”, while you’re waiting for the supposed right time, your time keeps running not waiting for you.
Sometimes, we give EXCUSES for not doing some wonderful things we have planned in our mind, and most times It’s due to LAZINESS, which is the height of it. Proverbs 6:6 Says “ Take A Lesson from the ants, you LAZYBONES. Learn from their ways and be WISE!” (NLT). This passage is rather admonishing us to carefully study the ants, Learn from it and Act on the Lessons learnt. I implore you to read through the passage (Proverbs 6), you will see what becomes of those who consistently Lazy around.
Here, we must have pictured ourselves procrastinating so many times and in so many areas of life, but not too worry there are still chances for us to make amends with God helping us. And we need to make a commitment today that we will always avoid anything that can make us keep procrastinating those great thoughts in our mind, No More Excuses, No More been a LazyBone😄. So, we won’t have to say these words HAD I KNOWN (regrets).
How to Overcome Procrastination
- Create a To-do list with specific deadlines
- Set Aside Time and space for Work
- Remove whatever might serve as a distraction to you.
- Tackle the hard stuff first
- Do One Thing at the time
- Give yourself break at intervals
- Break bigger projects into manageable chunks I.e whatsoever work that seems too big to handle break it into smaller ones you can handle
- Try the 2-Minutes Rule; This rule overcomes Procrastination and laziness by making it so easy to start taking action that you can’t say Say to.
The 2-Minutes Rule
This rule is of two parts:
- If it takes less than two minutes, then DO IT NOW. I.e when a task you’re to do takes less than two minutes to complete, then follow this rule and do it RIGHT AWAY.
- When you start a new habit, it’s shouldn’t take less than two minutes to do and you will find yourself wanting to do it often and often. For instance, Reading before bedtime each night, it takes a gradual process and finally becomes part of you.