What is Quiet Time?
Quiet time or devotion time is a time a believer must set aside to fellowship with God. Quiet time is not an option, it is compulsory as a believer to set a daily time to commune with God. Quiet time must be taken seriously because before it becomes so easy to do it will pass through difficult stages. Quiet time is a deliberate act to seek God’s face daily.
Below are questions that require answers to get the purpose of devotion time.
- What do I do during my quiet time?
- Where do I have my quiet time?
- When should I have my quiet time?
- Who is involved in my quiet time?
- How to I do my quiet time?
What do I do during Quiet Time?
There are many spiritual activities you can do during quiet time that will change your life in a powerful way
- Worship: Worship through songs is a very important spiritual exercise that helps our spirit, songs help us to ascend fast to the throne of God. Paul in his epistle to the Ephesians encourages us to sing Psalms, Hymns and Spiritual songs. (Eph 5:19). Singing is an important activity to do during devotion time.
- Pray: Prayer is the Key. There is a song that says “Prayer is the key, prayer is the Key, prayer is the Master key, Jesus started with prayer and ended with prayer, prayer is the Master key“. Do you know the song? if you do sing it again and again till it sinks into your spirit. Prayer is very crucial in quiet time. Prayer is a means of communicating with God through the Holy Spirit in Jesus’ name.
- Read: In a quiet time it is is expedient to use a devotion guide or manual to help build in you God’s kind of life. Nevertheless reading the bible is much more important and its place should not be exchanged for devotional manual. The Bible is not a container that contains the word of God and other things, instead, the bible is the WORD OF GOD. Everything from the scriptures is directly from God. (2 Tim 3:16). During your quiet time, you must ensure that you read the Bible because it is profit. It gives you a standard to look unto in other to adjust your lifestyle, it corrects you when you are wrong, it gives instructs in righteousness.
- Study: As a Christian, you don’t just read the word of God but you also need to take a step forward to study it. Paul encouraged Timothy in 2 Tim 2:15 says “STUDY to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needed not to be ashamed rightly dividing the word of truth”. The importance of studying in this verse is enormous but let take a few points. a) You study to show yourself approved to God b) You study so as not to be ashamed c) You study to be able to correctly analyze the scriptures.
- Meditate: Meditation is the key to becoming like the word, the key to practising the word. Josh 1:8 gave why we need to meditate, and how to. He said this book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth… The keyword there is “not depart from thy mouth”. To Meditate, requires you saying those words you have study until it becomes part of you. Ponder on the word within your heart, give practical examples of how it applies to your life.
Where do I have my Quiet Time?
They that worship God must worship him in spirit and truth(John 4:23), so no physical location, in particular, is specified to do your devotion, the only location is in the Spirit and Truth. The Truth, I believe signifies understanding. Nevertheless from personal experience and those of our great fathers in the faith. It is recommended to commune with God in a physically quiet environment. This will be beneficial to you, it helps you avoid distractions and give full concentration to God alone. (Mark 1:35) Jesus himself goes to a solitary place to have communion with God. But on the other hand, situations of life might not warrant us that space of time, then you have to learn how to maintain quietness in a lousy environment.
When should I have my Quiet Time?
God lives in Eternity, he is not bound with time, but his workings on his children are done in times and season. There is no specific time to have your devotion. But I strongly advise having your quiet time early in the morning is profitable. David said in Ps 63:1 “O God, thou hath my God, early will I seek you…” so it is good to seek God early in the morning.
Who is involved in my Quiet Time?
The Trinity is involved in your Quiet Time, God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy. But you must take note that currently where you are, God the Holy Spirit is with you. He is the supreme being that does the work in you. It is therefore important to pay attention whenever the meeting is on.
How do I do my Quiet Time?
This method should not be stereotyped, but, these are important things that should not be neglected in any method that will later be adopted.
- Prayer: Quiet Time should begin with Prayer. Remember our song, “Prayer is the key, Prayer is the key, Prayer is the master key. Jesus started with prayer and ended with prayer, prayer is the master key.
- Read the Bible: The Holy Spirit speaks to us when whenever we read the bible, so after praying is to read the bible expecting the Holy Spirit to share the word abroad in our Hearts.
- Jotting: This call for the need of a pen and a book that you will use to write down what the Holy Spirit put in your Heart, or any questions you have while reading the portion of the scripture you read. A wise man once said “The faintest pen is better than the sharpest brain”
- Prayer: It is good to close every devotion with a prayer asking the Holy Spirit to help breath those words more in your Heart.
Many other things could be done during quiet time as the spirit leads. Christians must have their devotion every day, preferably in the morning. It helps you have the word for the day. Following these steps above you are assured of having a Holy Ghost filled devotion. Please take note that the important personality in your quiet time is the person of the Holy Spirit.
Conclusively, I must say the secret place cannot be withdrawn from a Christian’s lifestyle. Every great man is quietly devoted to the secret place